Saturday, April 5, 2014

Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread

For years I've wanted to try making sourdough bread.  I haven't done a lot of study, but know that it's a natural way to raise your bread and the fermentation breaks down the hard to digest proteins found in some grains, like wheat.  I've noticed on my journey towards health that sometimes my digestion with all of the grains and beans isn't great.  A good friend of mine shared with me her sourdough start and taught me how to maintain it as well as cook bread with it.  I'm incredibly grateful to her!  Since her visit with me about a month ago, I have been making sourdough bread.  I've not been eating any other bread except Sourdough, as a test to see if it would help my digestion and it has, tremendously!  Even eating more beans in conjunction with the sourdough has helped my total digestion.

If you are interested in creating your own Sourdough Start, I found a recipe HERE.  There are many starter recipes available, if you don't like this one, feel free to find your own!  Experiment and have fun!


Above is a picture of my start.  I add to it daily or every other day and stir it daily.

There are also many bread recipes available.  Below is the recipe I use.  Its from the book "The Art of Baking With Natural Yeast" 



Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread
6 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup starter
3 cups tepid water
1/4 cup honey or agave

Add all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Mix well. Don't worry about the stickiness of this dough.  It will be different than any other bread dough you've ever made.  I promise! :)
Cover and set aside for 8 hours.

Spray 2 loaf pans with non stick spray.  Wet hands and separate dough in two.  Using your hands to gently shape the dough (it won't be perfect, that's ok) and place prepared loaf pans.  Let rise on your counter for 2 hours.  It will not raise above the bread pan edge like normal bread will.  After two hours of rise time, place in the oven and cook at 350 for 45 minutes.

My kids LOVE this bread.  It makes amazing toast with coconut oil and honey spread on it or with Vegenaise & heaps of veggies like avocado, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, etc.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment