Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sweet N' Spicy Lentils

I love lentils, they taste earthy to me.  Dan, however, can't stand them!  I am on a mission to help him like lentils.  This one was a winner.  I don't think he'd choose this over most other dishes I make, but he at least ate it and said it was good.  That's success to me, LOL!  I love serving this over brown rice, but have served it over a millet/buckwheat combination or over quinoa.

Sweet N' Spicy Lentils
2 tsp grapeseed oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger (can use fresh)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1-lb. can tomatoes, pureed
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup lentils, uncooked
1-2 Tablespoons brown sugar or agave
1/4 tsp salt

Heat oil in skillet.  Add onion, celery, garlic and spices.  Cook, stirring frequently for 3 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients, mix well.  When mixture boils, reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer 40 minutes or until lentils are soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment