Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pineapple Peach Upside Down Applesauce Cake

Now, say that 10 times fast.  Sorry about the long title, but you just need to know all that is in this cake!  It's so good!  I've made this a few times and to perfect it, I made it for breakfast.  The kids were so excited!  Cake for breakfast, what a good idea!  Dan and I invested in Saladmaster stainless steel pans.  Let me just say that I am happy we made the investment, but before you buy a used car (what these pans cost us), there are others that are excellent in quality for half the price.  I am happy to answer any questions about that if you would like to email me.  The wonderful thing about the Saladmaster pans is that you can cook most things without water or oil.  For instance to "saute" my onions and garlic I put the chopped onions/garlic in one of my small pans with maybe a teaspoon of water, put the lid on and turn it to medium heat.  There is a small little "clicker" on top of the pan, and when you hear it clicking, then you turn the temperature to low heat and cook for a few minutes until my onions/garlic are soft.  I love not having to use oil and nonstick spray for everything!  I do use nonstick spray for a few others things, like my Naan Bread and to spray my muffin tins for muffins, but for my veggies, no oil necessary! Also, by cooking it at a lower setting it keeps a great deal of the live enzymes in my foods.  I have read so much on the importance of getting in those enzymes and how we need to NOT cook at high temps!  I try to do this as much as possible.  It also improves the flavor tremendously.

For this cake I used my "oil core" round Saladmaster pan.  It worked beautifully!  I was so excited!  I did try it in the oven as well and it turned out doing that too.  I did take Saladmaster's recipe Pineapple Upside Down Cake as well as a recipe from the book Set For Life Applesauce Cake and modified them to make them Vegan.  I hope you like this recipe!

Pineapple Peach Upside Down Applesauce Cake

1 can pineapple tidbits
1 cup frozen peach slices, thawed slightly
3 Tablespoons coconut oil
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
For the Cake:
1/2 cup oil (I used Canola)
1/2 cup honey or agave
1 cup applesauce
2 cups spelt or whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

In your oil core Saladmaster pan or in your 9 x 13-inch pan, spread the fruit evenly.  If you are using your oven, turn to 350.  Sprinkle the oil and brown sugar over the fruit.  In a large bowl combine the wet ingredients of the cake, mix well, add the dry ingredients.  Mix well again.  Pour over the top of your fruit.  In your oil core pan heat the temp to 350.  When it is up to temperature, turn to 275 for about 5 minutes.  Turn to low for an additional 15 minutes.  If your cake is still not done, bring back up to temperature for about a minute, then turn off, let sit an additional 5 minutes.  If cooking in the oven, cook for 30 minutes.  Using a toothpick check the center of the cake to ensure that it is baked through.  Take out of the oven and let sit for about 10 minutes. Turn the cake over and serve topped with Banana Ice Cream.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment