Thursday, June 27, 2013

Protein Packed Lentils & Quinoa

I have been feeling a little sore from exercise.  I have been drinking a lot of chia and using a lot of nuts/seeds, but have been lacking the legumes and power grains.  Life is busy and I've been feeling overwhelmed with cooking much.  I threw this together for lunch.  It did take about 40 minutes to cook (the lentils, not the quinoa.  Quinoa takes about 15 minutes to cook).  It was tasty!

Protein Packed Lentils & Quinoa
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup lentils
2 cups water
1 tablespoon 21 Seasoning Salute (Trader Joes)

Combine all ingredients in a stainless steel skillet (I used my Platinum Cookware, turning the temp to medium and when it's to temperature, 60 degrees, then I turn to low and simmer 30 minutes.).  Bring the contents to a low boil, turn to low and simmer 30-45 minutes with lid on.  Serve over quinoa.

Cooked Quinoa
1 cup Quinoa
1 1/2 cups water 
(I don't like my quinoa soggy, so I like using a less water.  It is usually recommended using 2 cups water, a 2:1 ratio.  So experiment with what you like!)

Combine ingredients in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then turn to low heat, put on lid and let steam for 15 minutes or until quinoa is light and fluffy and not soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment