Saturday, June 1, 2013

Laundry Soap

I have been involved with doTERRA and using their oils for over a year.  I LIVE on them!  They have had so many uses and helped our family with so many things.  If any of you have smelled the oil Purify, you will know exactly how awesome this homemade laundry soap will be!  It makes your home smell so incredibly fresh just when diffusing it!  It also purifies the air and keeps it free form all sorts of pesky little germs.  It's a refreshing and uplifting smell as well.

I decided to make homemade laundry soap using this incredible oil.  I did some searching and found several recipes out there on Pinterest and blogs.  I decided to take the basic idea of many of these recipes and do my own thing.  Just a few little notes about this laundry soap.  It is powder.  I found THIS great website with some useful info and using most of the same ingredients for liquid laundry detergent if you'd prefer to use it instead.  I like the easiness of the powder and have a top loader washing machine so it works for me.

A note about essential oils: I use purify, but the first time I made this recipe I used a combination of lavender, melaleuca (tea tree oil), and orange oil.  It was an awesome combination too!  I have a friend who uses just orange oil because it's cheaper and she loves the smell.  So, as you can see the possibilities for "flavoring" your laundry soap are endless!
 Above are the ingredients I use. All of these ingredients, except the oil, I purchased at my local Smiths Marketplace.
1 large Box Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1 large box Baking Soda
1 large box Borax
2-3 bars Kirk's Castile Soap
20-30 drops purify (more if you so desire)

 Finely grate the Castile Soap
Combine the soap a cup or two at a time along with a cup or two of the Washing Soda and the essential oils.  Process until smooth.
You may need to repeat this process one more time, depending on the size of your food processor. (don't worry about using your kitchen tools for this, it cleans well, ha ha!)
I don't need to process all the borax and soda, I just pour the remaining ingredients in the bucket and mix really well with my hands.

I double my recipe for my large family and this should last me a few months at least.  

This takes me about 10 minutes, tops!  It's so incredibly easy and leaves my laundry smelling wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment