Friday, July 27, 2012

Simple Millet Stuffed Bell Peppers - Guest Recipe

 In recent months, I have become more acquainted with a person I consider a "kindred spirit".  Her name is Cindy.  I've admired Cindy from afar ever since we moved into our home.  She lives a few streets over from us.  Years ago, I learned that Cindy was a Vegetarian.  I always admired people who could stick to it, because I struggled so much over the years with what to eat and how to overcome my cravings that I just didn't think it was ever going to be possible to have a good relationship with food. 

 As Dan and I began studying a plant based way of life, I thought about Cindy a lot and felt prompted to talk to her about what she has done over the years and why she eats that way.  The other thing I had noticed about Cindy was her constant smile.  She has a calm way about her and I wanted to get to know her.  My Mom, who lives in a basement apartment in our home, which I LOVE, had decided to make the same changes we were to our lives and wanted to come with me as we met with Cindy.  We called Cindy and she invited us over for lunch.  We spent a good 3 1/2 hours at Cindy's beautiful home.  The first thing I noticed about her home was how fresh it smelled, not the kind of home where you can tell air fresheners or candles are used (like me, ha ha!).  It was clean and inviting.  She had set the table beautifully and had placed before us a beautiful millet/parsley salad, red cabbage/apple/carrot salad, and a lovely dish called triple simmer.  She had gently cooked veggies as well as a delicious carrot/apple juice.  This was our lunch.  Now, coming off of beef and chicken, and a fair amount of processed foods, I was surprised to find this meal so simple.  It was basically fruits and veggies!  I loved it!  It was wonderful!  She talked about her life and what led her to make the changes to eat plant based.  It was fascinating to hear about her life!  She talked about her family, her husband and how she overcame her chocolate addiction years ago.  She talked about her fascination with how the rights kinds of food can heal us.  We talked about the Gerson Therapy at length, something she is studying.  It was a wonderful afternoon!

Since then she has been gracious enough to share good books to read, many lovely, simple recipes and many of her insights into how to be positive and happy and how that can change our health and wellness for the better.  I feel a deep connection with Cindy and am so grateful for her friendship!  This recipe is hers.  I love the simplicity of it!  I thank Cindy for sharing it and hope you enjoy it!

Simple Millet Stuffed Bell Peppers

1 cup cooked millet (will show recipe for this below)
4 large or 5 medium bell peppers
1/2 cup sweet onion, grated or diced finely
1/4 cup red cabbage, finely shredded
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 fresh cloves garlic (or to taste)
1 large tomato - diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional - to taste)
1 tablespoon water in the bottom of the pan

Cut off top 1/3 of the bell peppers and dice the tops into the millet mixture.  Remove all seeds from peppers and discard.  Mix ingredients in medium bowl and stuff into the bell pepper bottoms.  Arrange in a large skillet or pot, placing the tablespoon of water in the bottom.  Heat your pan to 60 degrees or turn on medium and when the water is bowling in the bottom or it has reached temperature, then reduce to lowest temp on your stove top.  Cook for about 20 minutes.  

Serve plain or pour red enchilada or tomato sauce over each pepper.  Enjoy!!
(scroll to the end of the post for the millet recipe)






Cooked Millet

2 cups water
1 cup millet

Combine both in a small saucepan, cover and turn on medium heat, when slightly boiling, turn to lowest heat and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until millet has soaked all the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment