Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Dill Citrus Salad


We buy oranges, grapefruit, avocado, lemons, romaine and kale by the box every week from a local grocery store that gives us only a 10-20% markup versus the 40-50 % when paying per head of lettuce or per pound for fruit.  That being said, I never worry about how much of this stuff we eat.  The kids eat fruits and veggies freely because that's all we have in the house!  I am always trying to put variations on our green salads.  I also have dill growing in my garden and it is coming on in full force!  I'm love this herb!  It smells so heavenly!  My girls will gather flowers in the yard along with the flowers from the dill.  They think they are so pretty :)  

This recipe is one variation of many that I threw together for lunch the other day.  Many people ask me what I eat every day.  I eat fruits and veggies, lots and lots of them!  I usually juice in the morning before my workout (I will post about juicing shortly), eat a piece of fruit after my workout.  For lunch, I eat a huge salad with some kind of variation of fruits and veggies, sometimes beans, in the form of hummus or a quick chili (that post upcoming as well!).  For dinner, I again eat a huge salad, as big as the plate above with whatever I make for dinner that night.  If I'm hungry in the evening I might have a piece of fruit but usually I'm very full.  In all my reading, healing the body begins and almost ends with fresh, live foods, namely fruits and vegetables!  (Take a quick look again at the Alkaline Food List, most of the alkaline foods are vegetables.  The more alkaline your body, the less sickness and degenerative disease).  Legumes and grains are important but not as important as fresh fruits and veggies.  NEVER feel guilty about eating too many of them!  I haven't and I've had so much success in how I feel!

Dill Citrus Salad

2-3 cups fresh romaine lettuce, chopped
Finely shredded Cabbage, to your liking
1 grapefruit
1 orange
1 avocado
1/4 cup chopped nuts, your choice
2 -3 tablespoons fresh dill

Assemble your romaine and cabbage on your plate.  Set aside.  Slice your grapefruit and orange in half.  Cut the skin off of one half of the orange and grapefruit, then slice the fruit on your salad.  Peel and chop the avocado into chunks.  Chop your preferred choice of nuts, (I used walnuts, but I usually like almonds).  Finely chop the dill.  Place the avocado, nuts and dill on top of your fruit and greens.  For Dressing: take your remaining half of grapefruit and orange and squeeze the juice over the top of your salad.  
Serves 1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment