Thursday, May 2, 2013

Orange Chia Muffins

I have been in the mood for cooking big time these last few days!  Maybe it's because it's Spring?!  I am loving my DoTERRA oils and using them in my cooking.  Wild Orange is an inexpensive oil and adds a ton of flavor to shakes, juices, syrups, muffins, cookies, etc!  These muffins were created by me today!  Usually I modify existing recipes but this one was all me.  I was thrilled at how they turned out.  I hope you try them and let me know what you think :)  I wish I could have you all over for brunch, because to me the best part is watching people enjoy something healthy, made by me.  It brings me lots of JOY!

Orange Chia Muffins

3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds

1 1/2 cups spelt flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup honey or agave
1/4 cup coconut oil
5 drops wild orange essential oil

Crumb Topping (optional)
1/4 cup spelt flour
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup organic sugar
grated rind of one orange
1/4 cup coconut oil

Preheat oven to 400.  Combine the orange juice and chia seeds and set aside for about 15 minutes. In a large bowl combine spelt flour, rolled oats, salt, soda and baking powder.  Mix well.  Add honey/agave, coconut oil, wild orange oil and orange juice chia mixture.  Quickly mix well.  Do not over mix!  If using crumb topping prepare by mixing all ingredients together until crumbly.  Spoon muffin batter into a stainless steel muffin tins that have been sprayed with nonstick spray.  Sprinkle the crumb topping on top and bake muffins for 15-20 minutes or until tops are a little crispy and muffins are slightly browning. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.  Enjoy!!

Yield: 12 large muffins


No comments:

Post a Comment