Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tofu Veggie Rice Wraps




This is my first time using these fun rice wraps! I have seen them and wanted to try them but usually use seaweed instead.  These were easy and lots of fun to make!  I bought my rice wraps at Smiths Marketplace in the Asian food section.  As you can see above, they just need to be dunked in water for a about 10-15 seconds.  When you pull them out, they may be stiff still, but will soften.  I also picture a sweet and sour sauce.  I used a recipe in the cookbook Forks Over Knives, but the sauce was sticky and didn't turn out well at all.  I will not be including that recipe.  This was a quick, fun lunch I had this week.

 I love the options vegetables give me!  It's quick and easy and I always feel full, satisfied and never weighed down after I eat.  Eating this way has been the answer for me and I'm so grateful for the information I've learned and continue to learn.  I'm grateful for those who do the digging and provide the information the general public needs to know concerning our food and where it's coming from.  I hope you take the time to educate yourself.  I have a list of literature as well as several documentaries here on my blog as well as in my very first post.  These are great places to start!  With the help of Pinterest I have found some amazing blogs!  People are so creative!  I love that we all share what we learn concerning plant based nutrition.  If eating plant based is too overwhelming for you, try taking it a step at a time.  Maybe a meal a week is plant based, and from there you can add to it as you find your tastes changing.

Tofu Veggie Rice Wraps

1 16 oz tub tofu, drained and sliced thinly, as picture above
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or coconut oil
2 tablespoons Braggs Liquid Aminos
1 red pepper, sliced thinly
1 carrot, sliced thinly
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 bunch cilantro, washed a stems removed
Romaine lettuce (optional)

In a small fry pan saute the tofu in the grapeseed oil and Braggs Liquid Aminos until the outside of the tofu is crispy.  Set aside.  Prepare all the veggies.  Soften the rice wraps one at a time and prepare by layering the tofu and veggies.  Wrap as you would an enchilada.  Mine was a little tricky to fold, because it was sticky.  Do your best :)  I will post a great sauce soon! 
 In the meantime, Forks Over Knives has a great Brown Sauce that I like.  That book is worth it to own!  I hope you enjoy!

1 comment: