Saturday, May 25, 2013

White Bean, Millet, Walnut Taco 'Meat'


We eat a lot of beans, as you know, and I don't know about you, but we need variety.  Kinda like my old chicken days...I ate chicken every day and that gets pretty darn old if I didn't have a billion ways to serve it.  I'm so glad those days are over, to be honest with you.  I love that there are so many various plant foods to choose from!  Tonight I was in a hurry to make dinner and didn't have any beans previously made like I normally do, so I pulled a can of white beans out of our food storage and put some millet on to cook and let the creative juices flow.  Ha!  Actually it isn't so creative, just a little spin on what I normally make but the flavor turned out great!

White Bean, Millet, Walnut Taco 'Meat'

1 large onion, chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 can white beans (about 2 cups)
1 1/2 cups cooked millet
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder (or 2 garlic cloves, crushed)
1 teaspoon cumin
coconut oil (2 teaspoons, optional)

Saute onion in oil or water for about 5 minutes.  Add walnuts for 2 minutes.  Add beans, millet and spices.  Add a little water if needed.  Cook on medium low heat until heated through.  Serve in a lettuce, or chard leaf or on corn tortillas!


No comments:

Post a Comment