Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Why Juice?



Why Juice?

Why not?!  Juicing is a way to get a straight “shot in the arm” of nutrients.  I have found, for myself that the more living foods I consume, the better I feel, the less cravings I encounter.  Why is this?  I fully believe that when we consume dead foods, or processed foods, the less nutritionally fed we are.  Our bodies will begin to scream for the nutrients it’s lacking.  This comes in the way of cravings!  The more alkalizing foods (refer to THIS alkaline/acid chart) we eat or juice, the quicker we will absorb the nutrients our body needs.

One of the biggest questions in regard to juicing concern the fiber that is being removed.  That can’t be good?  We need that fiber, right?  Yes, we need fiber and should be consuming it in the form of eating these foods as well, but the benefit to juicing or even a juice fast provide our digestive system a break.  Pulling the fiber from the vegetables and fruits frees the nutrients . 

In the book pH Miracles by Robert and Shelley Young, they describe the benefits of juicing, “When you “drink your vegetables,” your body is getting minerals, chlorophyll, and enzymes, so vegetable juices are very alkalizing.  They also have an important cleansing effect in the intestines.  Juicing vegetables you might otherwise cook also provides enzymatic relief to the digestive organs.”  These juices go straight into the blood stream and provide us with "instant" nutrition!  

What to juice for optimal nutrition?  Again, referring to the alkaline/acid lists found all over the Internet and in books provide you with a list of foods that are alkaline.  When our bodies are more alkaline based, versus acid, we are healthy or more alive.  When our bodies become acidic, our bodies become a place where disease and decay thrive.  So, when it comes to juicing we are going for alkalinity.  This comes in the form of vegetables and very few fruits.  As you consume more vegetables juices, this will provide your body with a large amount of alkaline based nutrients and you will feel awesome!  I’m not gonna lie, the first time you choke down a “green” drink, you’re gonna feel like it might all come right back up!  So, start with equal amounts of apples, carrots and greens in the form of kale, spinach, swiss chard, romaine lettuce, etc.  Juicing a lemon with my green drink is a must!  It always helps mine to taste better.  In time, you will be able to lesson the amount if apples and carrots and add more greens.  

I juice a 32 oz green drink every morning and it consists of a variety of greens; kale, spinach, beet greens, and swiss chard.  I will sometimes add celery and/or a cucumber, cabbage, and a green pepper.  I love cilantro/parsley as well.  I add 1 green apple and 1 lemon to my 32 oz drink.  I rarely add carrots.  Carrots are alkaline but also naturally very sweet and can still increase your blood sugar.  Juicing grasses like wheat grass is also beneficial, although I haven’t had the time or patience to investigate growing my own and certainly don’t have the time or money to buy it.  I have read loads about the benefits though and encourage you to do that if you know how.

I also occasionally add 1 garlic clove, ginger root (peeled), or radishes to my juice.  Sometimes the spicy takes away the monotony of  the heavy greens.  Although, I have been juicing for a year and love variety, I NEVER tire of my green juice every morning.  If I happen to miss my green drink in the morning, my body feels more tired and I feel more cravings later in the day.

A word about Organic…I do all I can to buy organic.  I know there is much controversy concerning organic, however, I still buy it, wash it well and have peace of mind knowing I’m making the best choice I can. I also try to buy organic produce stateside and NOT from Mexico.  I cannot source this, but have heard that Mexico sometimes uses human waste as fertilizer (yuck, I know). I cannot afford to buy everything organic.  I work with my local grocery store and the produce manager there is wonderful about ordering anything I need organic and gives me great prices!  The foods I buy organic are; apples, romaine lettuce, swiss chard, kale, and carrots.  I buy these buy the box every week.  We juice it, eat it for almost every meal and LOVE it!

I will also be posting some great information about what kind of juicer is best? Also, information about the power of a juice fast.  Stay tuned!

There are some excellent books, documentaries and other sources about the power of juicing I recommend:

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading this. We probably have you to thank for the great variety of organic foods at Smiths :) I was actually going to ask you about recommendations for a juicer, so looking forward to that article. I've been wanting to get one for a while. I make green smoothies in the morning, especially because it's the only greens I can get Em to eat during the day, and I love the lemon/cilantro/ginger combo.

    Which leads me to my next question--you peel your ginger? Is there a health reason for that? I usually just cut a knuckle off and toss it in, so I'm a bit worried now, lol!

    Thanks again, really enjoy reading the knowledge you've gathered on this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth! Thanks for taking the time to read! I have a Green Star Juicer Elite. I have been through two juicers, a Breville (when we first began juicing) and then an Omega. I had done some research about getting a juicer that "chews" the food and then presses it. These kinds of juicers are called mastocating juicers. The Omega juicer was wonderful but very pulpy. We had friends who had owned a Green Star for years and it had held up well. We decided to purchase one. I'm not gonna lie, it was more expensive than most but has been well worth it. We juice every day.

    I don't usually juice the peel on ginger, but I don't see why you couldn't?! I'll have to look into that:)

    ReplyDelete